Sunday 10 April 2011

Dreaming





I designed this poster last year for my NCFE Level 2 qualification in Digital Photography. The module required me to use as many skills as possible that I had learned during the term. I have the good fortune to have a daughter who is not only photogenic but also willing to be photographed whenever her mother gets a new idea. After a long day at school, Safia was hanging about waiting for me whilst I finished up in my studio. As I was putting equipment away I noticed her daydreaming in the moon chair and couldn’t resist sneaking a few shots of her. She was so serene and clearly a million miles away, and when I asked what she was thinking about she revealed that she was dreaming of our forthcoming holiday to Scotland. When I uploaded the images to my computer I knew immediately that they would be the basis of a poster, although I wasn’t sure what design I was going to use.

I like this poster for its simplicity and also the sense of innocence that it conveys. A young girl lost in a dream world where the simple act of beach combing brings a sense of happiness and serenity. I know it is dangerous to idealise childhood, but I can’t help thinking there is no harm in taking pleasure from seeing a child dreaming of nothing more than a simple walk along the beach. 

1 comment:

  1. This is really good because when you read it all through it gives the image that you are walking across the beach. Very good and keep up the good work. :D

    ReplyDelete