Monday 11 April 2011

This is Portugal

Alfama, Lisbon                                   Miguel Santa Clara




When searching for images of Lisbon I came across this one by Miguel Santa Clara, a Portuguese photographer. I was drawn to it, as it is a scene played out every day in the Alfama, indeed all over Portugal, and the woman carrying her shopping up the many steps, reminded me of my grandmother. Despite being a very modern city, it is also ancient and no amount of modernization will change the geography of this part of the city. Life has always been hard for those living on the side of the hill leading to the Castelo Sao Jorge, but it has provided artists with much inspiration over the centuries. It has been the heart of the 'fado', the folk music of Portugal, for as long as anyone can remember, and so for me, this is Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment